(1) Starting position
(2) Raise one leg and shift your weight onto the other leg
(3) Move your raised leg slightly out to the side and hold it in the air
(4) Starting position — variation with training band
(5) Lift leg and shift weight
(6) Stretch your leg out to the side with the training band and hold this position
(1) Support yourself with your right hand on a wall or on a chair and lift your left leg up and out to the side slightly so that it's hanging in the air. (2) Place your left hand on your left hip. (3) Move your raised leg slightly out to the side and hold it in the air then relax and return to the starting position before repeating the movement. Repeat the procedure on the other side.
Variation with training band:
(4) Loop an elastic training band around your left leg and step down firmly on the two ends of the band with your right foot. (5-6) Stretch the band tighter by pulling your left leg up and out to the side, away from your right leg. Relax and then stretch the band again.
Sets: 3 x 10 repetitions
Strengthen the muscles in the outer thighs (abductors)
Strengthen the hip-stabilizing muscles